The step by step process includes all the forms you need.
Forms you need to apply:
- CHSS School Application Form – Printable
- Financial Need Form
- School Declaration Form
- Letter of Reference Request – Printable or Fillable Version
The Step by Step Process:
1. Application forms
- Use the CHSS School Application Form – Printable for all applications unless a ‘special application’ is required – all forms can be obtained from the counselling secretary.
- Make sure all the information is correct and neatly written in ink or typed and complete.
2. Create a Cover Letter
- Ensure spelling and sentence structure are correct and pay attention to spacing. Have someone else read it once you are done to offer feedback and to double check your spelling. It is difficult to edit your own work and mistakes can easily be missed!
- Word processed.
- Make sure to address your letter to the person offering the Scholarship or Bursary if you know it. If not, To Whom It May Concern is perfectly acceptable.
(a) introduce yourself and state your educational plans and goals
(b) referring to your resumé; explain the activities, courses, school and community service you have been involved with in the last four years
(c) state your specific reasons for applying for this scholarship including personal reasons of financial need and why it would be helpful to you
In your letter try to be original, personal yet specific, proud of your achievements, show understanding of the criteria for the award, be neat and presentable. Check your spelling!
3. Create/ Update your Resumé
A resumé represents a summary of the person’s history, education and achievement.
Microsoft Word is a great tool:
- Select File
- Resumé Wizard/Templates
Follow the instructions and input your information (keep your purpose in mind when selecting the style/type of resumé to create).
Remember the following:
- The resumé should be 1 to 3 pages long
- Always start with your goal or your educational plans
- Include the schools you have attended and when
- Include any academic/school awards
- Include any clubs, activities, teams etc. you have belonged to
- Include your community involvement
- Include any work experience, jobs etc. you have had
- List any other areas of interest, skills, achievements
- List the 2 people you will ask for letters of reference including their address and phone number
- Always start with the most recent activities, dates, etc. and work backwards. Usually going back to grade 9 is sufficient.
The qualities that most scholarship committees look for: enthusiasm, teamwork, character, hard work, purpose, ability to overcome obstacles, community service, perseverance and responsibility.
Examples and templates for resumés and cover letters at Myblueprint.ca
4. Transcript of marks
You can order your transcripts online from Student Transcripts Service on the Ministry of Education website.
5. Letters of Reference
Fill out the Letter of Reference Request and present to your two selected people.
a) Select the people you ask to write your reference letters carefully– 2 people (from the school or community) to attest to:
- your character
- your school/community involvement
- your academic performance
b) choose non-family:
c) Always ask them personally, give them a copy of your resumé and allow them a week to write it.
d) If you use a community person always ask for their permission to photocopy it to use for several scholarship applications.
6. Thank You Letters
Thank you letters are essential good manners!
a) Write a thank you letter to each person who wrote you a reference letter.
b) Later, write a thank you letter to the donor of each local bursary or scholarship that you receive. If you are not sure of the donor’s contact information, see the counselling secretary.
c) The donor organizations like to hear how their money has helped in your first year of post- secondary school and how you have done. Please share this with them.
When everything is ready – take your master package to the counselling secretary. The package should include:
- Scholarship & Bursary checklist (Office use)
- Completed application forms
- Cover letter
- Scholarship resumé
- 2 letters of reference
Deadline for submission of packages is Friday, March 31st, 2023.